Monday, September 8, 2008

Confessions of a Law Student's Wife

OK so we have been living in Florida for a little over three weeks now. Alex has been in school for two of those weeks and I never see him. Don't get me wrong, I am so proud of him for working so hard, he should be gone studying all the time, I would be very upset with him if he weren't. But that leaves me with nothing to do (hopefully I will eventually get a job and I will have something to occupy my time for at least 8 hours a day. But until then my day goes something like this.

6:30 am- Take Alex to School
7:00 am- Think about staying up to be productive but usually deciding to go back to bed.
9:00 am- Wake up and make myself get my lazy butt out of bed and in the shower.
10:00 am- Go to my computer and check my blogs and others to see if any updates have been made. Surf the Internet for random things.
11:00 am- Think about cleaning my apartment (although it is relatively clean seeing as how it is just Alex and I and I clean every day) so make up something to clean and clean it.
12:00 pm- Think about who I could call and talk to that would make me less bored for awhile (Usually my mom)
1:00 pm- Check my blog again to see if anyone has left any comments on it or if anyone else has updated theirs.
2:00 pm- Think about calling my one friend here and asking her to cure my boredom (I know she is busy with her own kids so sometimes I actually do this and sometimes I don't, but I feel like it every day)
3:00 pm- Read
4:00 pm- Check my blog again
5:00 pm- Make dinner
6:00 pm- Pick up Alex from School and eat dinner
7:00 pm- Pick up my book again while Alex is in the kitchen studying
8:00 pm- Flip through my phone to decide who else I could call and bug (oh wait it is dinner time for most of my friends back home so I better not, but if any of you think about calling me please do, it is like Christmas morning when my phone rings)
9:00 pm- Watch T.V
10:00 pm- Check my blog one more time to look for any updates on mine or anyone elses (see how much I live for blogging people? Your comments mean a lot to me, as well as your own updates)
10:30 pm- Alex and I go to bed.
The next day I start all over again.

I don't give you my schedule to make you feel sorry for me or to make you think I am depressed. On the contrary, I am happy here and I am happy my husband is going to School. I just wish I had more to do during the day until I get a job. Everyone told me I needed a new hobby when Alex started school and I have not been able to find one. I actually surfed the Internet for some new hobbies but that was not helpful either. Here are some of the results I found.
- Play Video games (Um no thanks)
- Buy some fish and watch them (Um maybe if I become suicidal)
- Make prank calls (Who is this person?)
- Go stay at the house of a loved one (OK maybe if I had $600 to fly to Salt Lake)
And my all time favorite
- Modeling (Now I really want to know who this girl is, I mean she actually thinks that Modeling is a good hobby, first of all not many people can wake up one morning and decide, I am bored, I think I will go to an agency and Model today. And second, that is like a career, not a hobby)

So as you can see I am stuck, I need a new hobby and I need one fast, not one that is ultra expensive or one that is unbelievably not me like sports, if you know me at all you know I am not coordinated enough for sports. What do all of you stay at home Mom's do when you want to do something different from every day life, what do you do for fun? Any suggestions you have would be helpful. Thanks for reading, if you made it to the bottom you are a real trooper.

17 comments:

Melissa said...

You do need a hobby. Have you been to the library there yet? That might give you something to do. What about cake decorating or a cooking class? I know that craft stores like Michael's and Joanne's offer classes like these. I've heard that Michael's cake decorating class is really fun and inexpensive. That's where my friend Alacey and Emily learned to do their amazing cakes. Might be fun. Now might be a good time to start on that children's book you've been wanting to right. You can always re-read Twilight! Have you read the partial Midnight Sun from her website yet? It's really, really good. Let's see...You could put your name out around the ward as a babysitter during the day. People would probably love that. Or, you could start a home preschool. I think that would be awesome! Ask around your ward and see if there is a need... there usually is. You could charge $75 a month per kid. If you had 12 kids(morning and afternoon 3x a week) that would be $900 a month. That would almost pay your rent and you'd only be working 3 days a week! Anyway... I'll keep thinking!

Melissa said...

I meant write a children's book. You know that...

amelia said...

Oh Ash, I would go stir crazy too! I liked Melissa's idea about starting a preschool, my SIL just started one in South Jordan actually!

As far as hobbies, have you thought about volunteering? The idea of being a library volunteer has always appealed to me. This has been the death of me lately, but what about trying sewing? I decided I'd try and sew crib bedding, having 0 sewing experience other than my mom trying to force lessons on me. I gave up on that one haha BUT did make some other really cute, easy stuff - there's SO many tutorials on the internet for curtains, pillows, clothes, purses, etc. I can see how addicting sewing would be!

Marn E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Oh Ash, you busy, busy girl! :) That is quite the schedule you're on. I say download Smilebox and spend some time dragging pictures into their pre-made digital scrapbook pages. It can be quite fun. You can print them, but have to pay a little bit for the membership, otherwise you can just save them for free. I could send you some stitching materials, I haven't been hooked on that for a while but it does pass time. Hmmmm.....I'm so darn boring, I don't have much more advice. Good luck googling hobbies! :D

Ali said...

Oh honey,

How I feel for you. E-mail me your phone number. I'll call you! Seriously, I will. I'd love to catch up and I suffer from boredom despite my two children keeping me busy. It's nice to have an adult to talk to.

Shopping is a great hobby, it's not a hobby of mine considering our lack of funds! Find a home decorating project like... find an old piece of furniture and paint it. Go to Lowes, pick out some paint, sand it down, etc.. home decorating (if it can be done frugally) can be fun....

I'm feeding the missionaries tonight. That's given me something to work/do. Have you thought about digital scrap booking at all? It's a great way scrap book. Less mess, no cutting, no glue etc...

Motherhood keeps me busy, but it's still so important to make time for a hobby or two when you do have kids. When you find a job, that will help a lot.

I agree with your sister - re-read twilight! :)

Katy said...

hey... look up blurb on your computer and download it. You can make a hard bound book of you and Alex's first year of Marriage (or second...how long have you been married?) This is really time consuming but fun. You download your pictures and arrange the pages (like scrapbooking without the mess).
I agree with the preschool thing. You pick your hours... great plan! or babysitting... either way. Maybe that could be your real job.

love ya.

Mindy said...

Wow! Sounds like my life last September before my job started! At least your not napping a ton. My day would have at least one nap, if not two.
Okay, hobbies...scrapbooking? It can be cheap if you really try! And trying to find good ways to make it cheap can be another hobby! How about making a blog that you post good cheap scrapbooking ideas to?
Write your life story. Yes, I said that. I'm going to try and do it. I've been reading my grandparents' life stories and it is very interesting.
Geneology. Yes, I said that too. It can be so interesting and fun if you get started. Or you can index names online for the church, and then that equals service, and we all know how good it feels to do service.
Go find the United Way or some other NGO and volunteer once a week or more.
Okay, I have officially proven how dorky I am with all my suggestions! But they will all make you feel like you are being productive and that is key.
Good luck Ashley! You're so cute!

FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

okay, this is a pity post. I hope you're happy

FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

HAHA, just kidding I think I am so darn funny! But you got pretty excited when you got up to 10 comments right? Are there any temp agencies in your area? I'm sure there has to be. You start like a receptionist job not making a ton of money, and then the company usually hires you after a couple months and you make half decent money, even if you don't have experience. I admire you're staying so positive, I really get depressed when I have too much time! I was going to say what Mindy said, write in a journal. Look up journal ideas online. Also, start watching the food network online. They have sweet recipes and they can take forever! Why not be able to say, "Yes I've made Beef Wellington, 5 times even. What? It took you 8 hours, well I'm just amazing I guess with my 5 times."
There's some awesome stuff and I know you like to cook, so get super creative! Start planning meals you'll make. You can always start over planning too. What do you plan to do for Christmas? I write down all my plans when I am bored because inevitably once you start working you will not have the same time to plan life out again! Oh yeah I love to hang at Barnes and Noble. When Greg works late I'll go take recipe cards and find fancy books and copy the ones I want to try. It can fill hours!

Breaking the Barrier said...

So, I was thinking you could start working on the children's book you want to write..heh. heh (elbow nudge). I am sorry you find your self so bored at times. You should learn how to design websites, or spread the word in your ward you babysit for working parents, or organize a social group for stay at home moms.on second thought, that modeling thing sounds pretty good... :) miss you

Breaking the Barrier said...

Oh crap, and here i was thinking I was creative... was there anything I said that wasn't already said? next time i'll read other's comments before i post :)

Kristin said...

I feel you Ashley! It is so weird with them gone ALL the time, or studying the rest.

I would suggest exercising. That has been enjoyable for me. Maybe you could train for a half marathon? (You would be a total champ! I haven't convinced myself to do this one yet.) Or take some classes at the local community center. I've been looking into some dance classes at ours. But they have everything for a pretty good price, which is an option. And you could meet a lot of people in the neighborhood. I love the volunteer at the library idea, that is definitely something I would do. Well good luck! If you're ever bored over the weekend, feel free to visit us here in D.C.!

Emily said...

This sounds a lot like how I felt right after I graduated and started staying home with my kids full time. It took me a while to figure out what I was supposed to be doing at home all day every day, and even now I have to keep inventing new things to do so I don't go stir crazy. I have found that I love taking classes. So far I have taken painting and cake decorating. It is fun to learn something new, and then it gives me something to practice during the day. Go to your local community college or JoAnn's. There are a ton of cheap classes to take.

Julia Davis said...

Hehehe, you are so funny. I just bought a sewing machine so some day I can make a quilt out of all my old t-shirts and pj pants I don't wear anymore but have a lot of meaning. I also bought a bunch of crazy art supplies. Someday I may actually use these things. Your friends had some good ideas in their comments. I think you'd be perfect at the preschool thing. I have done the Blurb book, too and that would be fun for you and Alex to have. Take luck with your new hobby!

Dixie & Markus said...

Are you anywhere near the beach or disney world? Those two things in and of themselves could take up a lot of time! You could go to the beach to ponder and write your kiddie book.
Taking clases is fun. Dance lessons, singing lessons, cooking, foreign language, massage techniques, website design. The possibilities are endless!
I actually envy you and all your free time! You can do ANYTHING!

Unknown said...

That list is hilarious! I can totally relate to the no-husband thing. I have totally had to syke myself out that this is MY time and I can do what I WANT, etc. So far I have read like 10 books in the 2 months, and watched a million movies. However...I have re-started practicing the piano! I practice for like 30 min everyday and I actually think it is pretty fun. so yeah, find something new and fun. P.S. You would be FANTASTIC at modeling and I really DO think you should go for it!!! :) So curious- did you consider teaching this year or are you just ready for a break?