
(I love this book, and today I was thinking about it)
I decided that I tend to have a bad attitude about things lately. I will let one little thing make me mad for the rest of the day. I didn't used to be this way but lately I feel like I have been. So a few days ago I made a conscious decision to wake up in the morning and to make it a good day all day, no matter what happens. Well today was definatly a test of my new found "Good attitude no matter what".
It all started when I went to pick up the little boy I nanny lets call him Ben. I always bring him some juice in a sippy cup when I pick him up from school because he is so thirsty. But today I left my apartment without it, I knew he wouldn't be very happy but there was nothing I could do. The first thing he says when he gets in the car is "Where is my juice" I told him I forgot it and he kept reminding me how thirsty he was the whole way home. (Bad thing #1)
Next he decided he wanted to go to McDonald's for lunch so we stopped and went inside. After waiting in a fairly long line I place my order only to find that I left my wallet at home. I tell Ben that we have to go home and get money before we can buy lunch because I don't have any. This does not go over very well with Ben. He starts throwing a fit saying that he wants to eat at Mcdonalds and I said that we could. I try expaining things to him but it is no good. I pick him up, put him in the car and drive home. He refuses to talk to me until we get to his house. (Bad thing #2)
When we get home Mom's car is in the driveway, he runs in the house to see her when he finds out that Mom's car is home but she isn't, he begins to cry saying he wants Mommy. Now for many of you with children these things do not seem like a big deal, well I don't have children and when I have a child who is normally content and never cries it is a big deal to me! (Bad thing #3)
Later after work I come home to make dinner I am making Lasagne and cook the meat and the noodles. When I go to put the cream cheese in I find out that i bought a package of cream cheese that is VERY moldy, but I already am too far into dinner to make something else so I go to the store to return it (Bad thing #4)
When I come home I forget to put my apron back on (I had a feeling I should wear one today because I really like the shirt I am wearing and didn't want to ruin it) The minute I start making the sauce I spill it all over my shirt (Bad thing #5)
As you can see today has been one of those days that could drive you crazy, where nothing seems to go right. Well I am proud to say that after reminding myself after each thing happened that I was happy and today was a good day, it actually was. I was able to brush off everything that happened and have still been in a good mood all day. I am reminded of an old saying that is popular in my family (Nielson cousins you will know this) "We don't sing because we are happy, we are happy because we sing" I was thinking about that saying today and decided it really is true, if you sing and smile enough, you can't help but be happy.
So moral of the story? Smile until you don't feel like frowning and your day just may turn out ok, Attitude is everything, pick a good one :)



7 comments:
thanks
I needed that today.
I think your day was worse than mine and you were def. happier!
Good job
Katy
I really appreciated this! Thanks Ash. What a great way to start my day!
Wow, what a day! I'm glad you were able to still smile at the end. I could use your philosophy with this little class of "darlings" I have to deal with every day!
Way to go, Ashley! You're better than I am. Staying optimistic all the time can be tough sometimes!
Good job Ashley,
I also have a hard time being positive some days. You are a great example.
Sounds like a normal day at our house! Isaac is such a stinker.
Dang I would not have handled this as well as you did Ash!
Post a Comment