First we talked about going to the beach to swim and lay out, but then we remembered that there is a hurricane on the beach, so we couldn't do that.
Then we decided that going for a run would be fun since we have not been to the gym for a while, but then we remembered about hurricane Fay
After that we decided maybe we could go for a drive and see the different sites of florida, but then we remembered that hurricane Fay made driving conditions a little trecherous.
Then we decided maybe we could get out the umbrella and go for a walk, but then we remembered that the wind would do this to our umbrella
Then we thought about going to Disney World, but that didn't seem smart either.
Well there you have it, our first week in Orlando, we sat in our apartment and talked about all the things we could be doing if there were not a hurricane going on outside, so our first week in Orlando was a very slow one. When we got here last Saturday it was raining and it didn't stop for an entire week. It was an incredibly hard rain. I could not believe that it rained that hard for that long. Watching the news got Alex and I a little bit nervous, they were making it sound like the end of the world or something. They talked about flooding, and tornadoes that often accompany Hurricanes and lightning and loss of power. We were about ready to call all our loved ones to say goodbye. But luckily Fay went past Orlando instead of going straight through it so we got a lot of rain and wind, but not much else, we didn't even lose our power. (Thanks to those of you who called with concern for how we were holding up) But the pond outside our apartment kept getting bigger and bigger and I wondered if it would ever get high enough to reach our apartment.
Alex was supposed to have orientation during this week but all of the schools were closed. So his school ended up having one day of orientation and skipping the rest. But we did have a lot of time to get everything unpacked and all of our pictures put up since we couldn't do anything else this week besides sit in our apartment.
But, now the storm is gone and everything can carry on as usual. The sun is out so today I took advantage of that and went to the pool (I have not found a job yet but I am looking). Alex started school on Monday and has been studying ever since, I wonder if I will ever see him again :) We did make some friends at church on sunday and they invited us for dinner that night at their house. They just moved out here from Lehi Utah and are very far away from family as well so it was nice to meet some people in our same situation. So we are doing well here in our new home, the weather is great now and our ward is incredibly friendly, I think we are going to enjoy it out here, but we miss all of our friends and family a lot.



10 comments:
I'm SOOO glad you survived the hurricane! What an interesting week you COULD have had, had it not been raining. Or had you been teaching 1st grade--AUGH! Give me back my old class! I'm glad you're okay, hopefully you'll get to do some of those fun things before too long!
WOW~ crazy HOW ARE YOU?? HOw do you like Florida? Be safe!
I'm glad you guys are ok! How scary! How exciting that Alex has already started. And so it begins :)
that is a funny post!! Haha... I was wondering if you were alive but kept checking your blog... figuring you would tell me if you had been blown away.!:)
Love ya...
What a Florida welcome! I can't believe how intense that was! Ha, glad the apartment is all set-up at least.
I'm so glad you survived! That looked intense! I am about to read a book called "The Book Thief" and have heard raving reviews about it! I'll let you know what I think, but it might be worth trying!
I miss you! And I too am glad you didn't get swept away!!
Who knew the name Fay could be a scary thing. Glad your safe!
Okay, this answers my previous question about being near a beach or Disney World. You are! Lucky you!
Except for the hurricane part:)
Post a Comment